WATCH: How to Effectively Listen and Vent to a Friend About Parenting, Motherhood, and More
This video highlights the value of listening to a parent who may be struggling with every day issues and pressures at home. Watch this video to learn the appropriate steps to building true listening partnerships and building empathy with other parents and presenting them with the gift of being present.
- Listen intently. Be present and nod your head but just… LISTEN!
- Refrain from sharing your own experience. You’re shifting focus and breaking their train of thought.
- Don’t try to fix the situation. Let them find the solution themselves as they’re talking.
- Ask, “What does that remind you of?” if someone is stuck.
- Use “I feel…” statements.
- Share what you wanted to tell your kids.